This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's All About Being Adventurous!

I said going into this experience that it was going to be an adventure and I was going to make the most of it and do and try as many opportunities that I could! Well with that being said, I think I have found one thing I am not so sure I am up for experiencing. Over the weekend I injured my back which really is a normal occurrence in my world but also is going to the chiropractor to put me back together again. Unfortunately chiropractor's aren't that easy to find in Ireland. So I found a massage therapist here in the village that everyone highly recommended so I thought I would give it a go and hopefully would gain some relief. And if nothing else I would have an hour massage which is always blissful. As I was talking to her telling her what was going on and about the pain she said, "Well the needles should help with that." I looked at her and was like What needles?!?! She proceeded to explain acupuncture. I politely and I am sure with a horrified look on my face declined and said I would just like to stick with the massage for now. She was very accepting of my decision and did an amazing job with my massage. I did however allow cupping which is where cups are placed all over your back and they actually suck and stick to your skin. The Chinese believe that it helps to draw the bad stuff out of your body. Apparently the darker the mark they leave on you the deeper the problem is. That was hard enough for me so that is me being open minded and trying "alternative" medicine! I will admit though the pressure of the cups did actually feel good....just seems weird to me! As I was leaving she handed me a card and said, "Next time we will try the needles and you will see how they help!" I just smiled and said thank you! Oh how I miss my chiropractor so much!! But I will say I am feeling some relief and am just hopeful the progress continues.

I spent the evening getting things ready for my weekend in Paris! I am so excited to be going to Paris...so hard to fathom that I am actually going! Tomorrow after school I am heading to Killarney to catch the train to Dublin and then the plane to Paris. I am thinking that life in Ireland really has made me more laid back and more able to just take things one day at a time. As of this evening my ride to Killarney for after school is up in the air, we have no set place to stay in Paris, and I am only taking a backpack with me for the weekend! And to top it all off I am not concerned about any of it and am excited for the adventure that it will be. I think the thing that surprises me most is that I fit everything into a backpack and it isn't even full. Guess I am learning how to pack light so I can bring home souvenirs! Besides I don't want to pay to check luggage...so technically I am being economical too! The adventure of a weekend to Paris has already begun and I haven't even left yet! Sure is going to be a fabulous weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura -- just to let you know it's a pleasure to click into your blog! I'll certainly look forward to the weekend in Paris report! Hannah Evans just got news that she is placed in Ireland for COST too, her first choice.
    Judy Barford

    ReplyDelete