Too many days have passed since my last post and so much happened on our journey of Ireland that I feel I need to back track and write about it. I was usually so wrecked by the time we stopped for the evening that I couldn't make coherent sentences and then we are up and gone early the next morning. Definitely enjoyed my visit with Meg and our travels all over Ireland. We were busy gals and took in all the sites and opportunities that presented themselves. We saw castles, coasts, cathedrals, and cliffs....all of which were very impressive.
On Sunday after a relaxing morning of breakfast and getting ready we packed up the car and set out on the road. We left Dublin heading for Kilkenny. Once there we walked around and enjoyed the fresh air and just seeing the town. From there we headed to Cashel where we visited the Rock of Cashel. Further onward we journeyed to Cahir where we walked the grounds of the Cahir Castle. Once in Cahir we plotted out our ending destination for the evening and called ahead to book a Bed and Breakfast. We chose Mallow as our final destination for the day as it would put us pretty close to Cork and Blarney where we wanted to explore on Monday. For the first day of our journey we covered alot of ground which we considered impressive since Meg had just arrived that morning. I was still adjusting and getting fully comfortable driving and was so grateful to now have a co-pilot to give me directions so I could fully focus on driving. The day was beautiful weather wise and the scenery, as always was fabulous. I love driving through the small towns and admiring how quaint they all are. We found our way to Rivervale Lodge Bed and Breakfast in Mallow and after a recommendation from our host we went out to a nice restaurant for dinner. By the time we got back to the B&B we were both very much exhausted.
On Monday, still feeling rather groggy we got up and made ourselves presentable for breakfast. The one thing about staying at a bed and breakfast is that the night before you tell them what time you would like breakfast so it would be rude to ignore that and stay in bed even though that's probably what you would really like to do! After a nice breakfast we were ready to tackle the day and were set to make the most of it. First stop of the day was in Blarney where we got to visit Blarney Castle and kiss the Blarney Stone. Not that either one of us need the gift of gab but we decided it was a tourist must do! I don't think either one of us were really aware or prepared for how you must lay to kiss the stone. It was quite the hilarious act. Thankfully there is a guy there that helps you and I think he really got a kick out of the both of us! I was really intrigued by the castle and the grounds in general. One aspect of the castle I got a kick out of was the murder hole. It is right above the front door and if unwanted guests arrived hot boiling liquid would be dumped on them. I am thinking I need one of these at my next home...lol! Onward from Blarney we headed through Cork to Kinsale where we visited Charles Fort. Talk about a breathtaking view....it is right on the coast. The fort is star-shaped and was one of the largest military forts in Ireland. It was quite impressive to see and the exhibition centre was very interesting and gave much detail and explanation to life at the fort and the history. After leaving Charles Fort we headed back in towards Cork and drove through Cobh and somehow even managed to find a navy base! Unfortunately the time didn't allow for a visit. We decided to start making the journey towards home. I was excited to be heading home and getting the chance to show Meg where I live. We made it back right before dark so I was able to show Meg some fabulous scenery views between Kenmare and Sneem. We stopped in Sneem for some dinner before heading to the house. We ate a D O'Sheas which has delicious food and is a very nice pub. We enjoyed our dinner and then went out to the house. Everyone was delighted to meet Meg and for me to be home. After much debate we decided on our plan for Tuesday. After visiting with the family we decided sleep was very much needed.
We awoke Tuesday to a rainy day but we weren't about to let that slow us down. We started towards Killarney where we took in the sites of Ross Castle and Muckross House and Abbey. Both were incredible to tour. Quite the windy morning but at least it stopped raining long enough for us to walk around. It really is amazing to look at the restoration of these buildings or the ruins and imagine life when people actually occupied them. From Killarney we decided to drive the Ring of Kerry which borders the Iveragh Peninsula. The views are breathtaking and spectacular. We stopped at a bog village and saw life how it would have been living there. It really was quite interesting. Along the way we stopped several times for me to be a tourist and take scenery/scenic pictures! I think there are a couple pictures of me standing out in the rain taking pictures! We took the bridge across to Valentia Island and drove around a bit. We visited the tourist center for the Skellig Rocks but the day was too terrible to take the ferry out there. Throughout the day we drove through several towns including Killorglin, Cahirsiveen, Waterville, Caherdaniel, and Castlecove. There is a lovely beach near Caherdaniel called Derrynane Beach that I really wanted to show Meg. So we braved the elements and went out there. Right as we were standing on the dunes admiring the view it let loose in a downpour! Go figure our luck. We returned to the car soaking wet....thankfully we were only about a half hour away from home and dry clothes. By the time we arrived back at the house we were so tired and the thought of sitting in a pub to eat sounded like way too much effort. We ordered fish and chips from the chipper in the village for take away. And lucky for us the bakery was open so we got a package of delicious chocolate chip cookies! These are really fabulous cookies and I am trying to figure out how to get them through customs for the trip home! We took our fish and chips and cookies home and enjoyed an evening relaxing with the family.Wednesday was going to be an early/long day so off to bed early we went!
The alarm clock went off way to early but we had alot of ground to cover so up we got. After showers and a nice breakfast we headed out the door. It was still dark and we both wish we were still in bed. We headed down to Dingle to explore the town and once again were simply amazed at the spectacular views as we drove along the coast. The week was dedicated to me being a tourist and I did just that...I stopped many places along the way to take pictures of the coast and mountains. After a little shopping we headed towards Tralee. We stopped in Blennerville and toured the windmill and learned all about the history of it and its use to mill grain. We even got to climb up in it which was alot of fun. We then headed for Tarbert to catch the car ferry over to Killimer. The car ferry saves one from driving 2 hours and instead you can relax in your car for the 20 minute journey. It was really weird to be sitting in the car and moving. Not a great day for standing on the decks and enjoying the ride so we stayed in the car and enjoyed a cookie and plotted out which road we needed to find once on the other side. We docked in Killimer, found our road, and were in route to the Cliffs of Moher. We stopped briefly in Kilkee for me to take more pictures and to admire some people out surfing. I hope their gear was insulated because it was quite chilly. We arrived at the Cliffs of Moher and made the walk up it to gaze at the spectacular view. The cliffs really are breathtaking and words really can't do them justice. To look at all the natural beauty that exists all around Ireland is simply stunning. We made it to the car just in time as it started raining which then turned into hail. We made reservations for a bed and breakfast in Spiddal and headed for Galway City. I really wouldn't advise driving in the city of Galway after dark in the rain when you really don't know where you are going. And I must point out that at this stage I still don't like stopping pointing uphill! We made it through Galway and weren't far away from our resting place for the night. We were tired and hungry...not a good combination especially after a long day of driving. We checked in and then headed to a quaint little restaurant in the town of Spiddal. The food was really good and we enjoyed the waitress and her sense of humor. She gave us advice on the places to visit the next day. After enjoying some ice cream and me almost falling asleep on the table we headed back to the B&B.
Thursday morning we awoke to a very rainy and dreary day. We scrapped Plan A and went with Plan B for the day. We traveled out to Connemara and visited the Kylemore Abbey. County Galway is so different than the rest of the places we have visited. The pastures are lined with stone walls to keep the animals in instead of the more modern/traditional gates and fences. The countryside is lined with them and they make quite the setting. We came across sheep in the road and of course needed a picture. I have seen it many times during my stay in Ireland but each time I still get quite the laugh. The mountains and lakes in Connemara are gorgeous. At Kylemore Abbey we weren’t prepared for what we were going to see. And really all we could say was “Wow!”. It was originally a castle and then became an Abbey was an order of nuns purchased the grounds. They have restored the church and gardens that are on the grounds and live in one section of the Abbey. There was a private girls’ school on the grounds that remained open until just this June. We enjoyed walking around the grounds visiting the abbey, the church, and the gardens. After enjoying lunch there at the cafĂ© we decided to take the scenic route and head back towards Galway City. We enjoyed some shopping in Galway and then decided it was time to get back on the road and head towards Dublin. Once a little bit out of the city we stopped for food and to browse the bed and breakfast books to book a room. I must comment that finding food isn’t as easy as it is in the states. In the states there is usually some type of fast food place or restaurant chain…that is so not the case in Ireland. Thankfully they believe in combining some nice deli selections within their gas stations which are like mini grocery stores. We decided on a B&B in Maynooth which would put us right outside of Dublin.
Friday morning consisted of getting up early, enjoying breakfast and then back in the car we go. Another rainy day greeted us but by now we are pros at doing anything and everything in the rain in Ireland! We headed for the B&B in Swords where this journey all began to park the car and then catch a shuttle bus into Dublin for the day. Driving and parking in Dublin is a huge headache so for 3 Euros we took the bus. Once in Dublin we bought our sightseeing tickets for the city on and off bus and purchased a Dublin Pass for the day that included free admittance into several area attractions. We visited the Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublinia and The Viking World, Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, Guinness Storehouse, Kilmainham Gaol (jail), and The Old Jameson Distillery. I find the order in which we visited these places quite amusing. Nothing like going from church to learning about beer then to jail and then to the whiskey distillery! I really loved visiting the cathedrals and both that we saw that day were still in use for masses/services. They are truly spectacular and I really think I could just sit there all day and enjoy it. Visiting the Guinness Storehouse was quite the experience…it has 7 levels that tells about the process of making this famous beer. It is very extensive and very well done/laid out. You even get the option of learning how to pour the perfect pint…which of course we had to do. That was a lot of fun…I think I could be a bartender now! There is a certain art to pouring a Guinness and it takes 119.5 seconds to do so! Next we went to the jail and I learned an interesting fact. It was at this prison in Ireland that the term “mug shot” was phrased. The things you learn while in Ireland! Last stop for the day is the Jameson Distillery. It was very interesting to learn about the process of making whiskey. This was new to me and the whole tour was very well done. The tour leader needed volunteers to taste test different whiskeys. Can you guess who volunteered?! After taking in the sights of Dublin we did a little touristy shopping and then caught the bus back out to Swords. At the recommendation of our B&B hosts we went to this nice pub/restaurant. The food there was excellent or maybe my body was just in desperate need of food at that point. It felt so good to get back to the B&B and relax. I couldn’t believe that they week had gone by so fast. I was thankful for the chance to sleep in a bit on Saturday but saddened that the road trip of Ireland was almost over.
Saturday morning arrived and it was full on sunshine! After a delicious breakfast and making arrangements for a room in December we loaded up the car and headed for the airport. I wasn’t ready for Meg to leave. It was nice to have a familiar face here and we really enjoyed our time together traveling all over Ireland. At least this time at the airport it didn’t take me three trips around to figure out where I was going! We got to the airport and said our good-byes! Sad moment! Now I had to make the drive home! Thankfully I had the sun and some great tunes on the radio. I decided to take yet another different route from Dublin home. So I chose to travel the eastern coast and go down through Wicklow and Waterford and then across. I may not have done much there but at least I got the chance to travel through and see those parts of Ireland.
I finally did arrive back home and was wrecked from a full day of driving. But thankfully I didn’t get lost and felt like quite the pro at driving. The house was quiet when I arrived as the family was gone up in Galway for the weekend. But I was greeted by two packages waiting for me on my bed. My mom sent Halloween cards and goodies to myself and the girls. And Taryn sent me a wonderful package full of so many goodies and reminders of home. I truly am blessed by an amazing family and fabulous friends.
I am sure I am forgetting some funny story or quirky detail but that’s what I get for waiting so long to blog!
No comments:
Post a Comment