Yesterday I started my roadtrip with a journey to Dublin. I left Sneem and headed to Kenmare to drop off my library books....doesn't that sound so civilian!! Parking and the hills gave me a little bit of a struggle but I conquered them! I really don't think it should be legal to have to stop on a hill and then be expected to go forward again! But after a reminder from a friend that I must chant "I think I can, I think I can" as I climb the hills I think I am ready to give it another try today! On the drive I not only experienced all the twists, turns, and bends but also that Autumn is in full swing. It was so beautiful to drive through the changing trees and watch the colorful leaves fall.
Some exciting things along the drive were me missing the bypass around Cork so I had to take the lovely route right through downtown! Oh that was an experience and of course added to the length of my drive. At one point I turned onto a road and looked ahead and it was a straight up and I mean vertical road. I about started to cry as I imagined myself trying to climb the hill and rolling all the way back down it! But thankful God was watching out and that was a one way road down!! So I got to turn before I got there and go on a straight flat road!! Hooray for that!!
It rained off and on throughout the whole journey but rain in Ireland usually means rainbows. I saw two double rainbows yesterday and I am pretty sure that was a sign of something! It certainly made my day and as always I continue to be amazed with the beauty here in Ireland.
One thing that is very popular in Ireland and most of Europe is Roundabouts! They are everywhere...every intersection as one. Instead of having stoplights like in America for intersections they have roundabouts. They take some getting used to and having to yield and which lane to be in. I will be a master of them as I know we will be going through plenty of them in the days to come. The good thing about roundabouts though is that you can keep going round and round til you are sure which exit off of it you want to take!
I finally made it to Dublin and around the city to Swords where my Bed and Breakfast was located. I apparently took a wrong turn somewhere and went through downtown Swords! What is up with me and liking the downtown routes! I hope this doesn't continue to be a theme for the whole week! Once I got to the Swords Castle I figured I was not on track. So I called my hosts at the B&B and they came into Swords and had me follow them out. And they even cooked me dinner! They are so sweet. So I enjoyed an evening relaxing from a long day of driving.
I got up early and checked the flight schedule and saw that Meg was going to be getting in early. So I headed to the airport and after going round and round three times I figured out how to park. I was there in plenty of time and actually had to wait for a bit. I must saw that waiting at arrivals is just torture! Every time the door opens you wonder if the person you are waiting for is going to walk through and you get excited but then it isn't them! But finally it was her and it was so exciting to see a familiar face in person and not just through the computer! We ventured back to the B&B for breakfast and showers and to plan out the day!
So now we are ready to start our road trip of Ireland. I can't wait to spend time with her and share many laughs as we tour Ireland. So ready, set, here we GO!!!!!
This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!
No comments:
Post a Comment