Whenever I come home from a weekend trip I am always delayed in writing about it. I am not sure why this is but that just seems to be how it goes. So let’s talk about London!
I left for London on Thursday evening...it is always such an adventure for me to just get to my destination and of course back again. But this is what happens when you are living in the country and relying on others for rides and public transportation. I journeyed from Sneem to Killarney by mini bus then waited there at the bus station for a bit then took the bus to the Kerry Airport. I had almost a two hour wait and this airport is tiny so there is absolutely nothing to do. Lucky for me though as I was going through security I started talking with the lady in front of me who ended up being from London and we ended talking the whole time we waited for our flight. Once I landed at the Stansted Airport I had to take a bus to London City Centre to the Victoria Station which takes about an hour and a half. From there I took the underground to South Wimbledon which is a half an hour. By the time I reached by final destination for the evening it was late and I was exhausted. And thank you to the bus station ticket lady for telling me the wrong directions and what tube line to get on….thankfully I can read a map and realized she was wrong before I got on the underground.
I didn’t say much too many about my accommodations while in London because I didn’t want people to worry or fret about it, but now that I am home and the weekend was a success I will share the details. After arriving in Ireland I had heard talk about this new way to visit places if you were on a budget and that was to couch surf. There is a website, www.couchsurfing.org, which you can go onto and search to see if there are any hosts in a particular area or town. You join the site and can send requests off to see if someone will let you stay with them. I know this may sound scary or intimidating, but hey I am all about trying new things on this little adventure that I am on. I decided I would like to try it at least once to say that I have. I firmly believe that if you are smart about this there really are genuine people out there and it can be a great way to meet new people and make friends all over the world.
So with that being said I couchsurfed in London staying with Michelle in her flat in South Wimbledon. It was great to stay a little outside of the city but it was so accessible by the underground. Michelle is originally from Canada and has been in London since the beginning of September. She is a teacher and is working through an agency that places teachers in different schools in the London area. She also has three flat mates who are also from Canada and are teachers. She was a great host and we had a great time on Saturday sightseeing around London…more on that to follow. I am really glad that I gave couchsurfing a try….
I really feel like doing both of the walking tours was a great way to see the most popular and historic sights of London. And at the end of the day I was able to say I had marked off all of the sights I wanted to see off my list! Quite impressive for one day! After I finished the tour I took the underground to the London Eye area where there was a Christmas Market that is actually called the Cologne Christmas Market after the one in Germany. It was amazing to wonder the bank area around the river visiting all the craft and food stalls listening to Christmas music with the city of London lit up all around. It was a spectacular sight. I really enjoyed it and even tried a German bratwurst….just getting ready for my time in Germany! I did some wondering and browsing…I love all the little hut like stalls and it really just warms your heart and makes you think of Christmas.
I got back to Michelle’s and we talked about our days and made a plan for Saturday. After some much needed rest I awoke on Saturday ready for another full day in London. Michelle and I headed into London and our first stop was Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guards. Unlike Friday, which was bright and sunny, Saturday was very chilly and overcast.
Due to the time of my early morning flight on Sunday and the fact that the bus and underground wouldn’t be running yet I had to head out to the airport on Saturday evening and spend the night at the airport. For a girl that is all about just arriving to the airport the morning of her flight and will usually pay for a hotel room close by it is quite impressive that this is my second time spending the night in an airport. I didn’t leave London City Centre until 11pm and due to construction we didn’t arrive out to Stansted Airport til after 1am. I got into the airport and found a quiet spot to curl up and try to get some sleep. Let’s just say that I don’t actually really sleep in an airport because I don’t relax enough and can’t really get all that comfortable. And thanks to a group of guys who decided to have a drinking party I really got no sleep. I find it so crazy how an airport comes to life so early in the morning. At 4am shops and food places start to open and people start to stand in line to check in for their gates. At 6:30am we were allowed to go down to our gate area and start assembling for boarding. I was so thrilled to be heading home and all I wanted to do was get there and get some sleep!
Saturday evening Ireland received a blanket of light snow which rarely happens therefore when it does things shut down! My flight got into Kerry Airport with no problems and actually arrived early. I caught the bus into Killarney and waited to hear from Maureen on what time she would be there to pick me up. A couple hours later I received word that Sneem was covered with ice and the roads into Killarney were quite treacherous. We were going to wait and see if the sun cleared the roads up a bit making it doable for someone to drive in and pick me up. So I wandered Killarney with my suitcase doing some Christmas shopping. I knew I had to keep moving or I was going to fall over from exhaustion. I remembered that a girl who is a resource teacher at my school was due back into Killarney sometime on Sunday. I called her and she was able to give me a ride to Kenmare once she got into Killarney at half two. I called Maureen and let her know I could get a ride to Kenmare and that I would just need picked up from there…Kenmare is closer to Sneem and on a better road. A friend of Maureen’s was actually doing some grocery shopping in Kenmare and would be heading back to Sneem about the time Joyce and I were due to arrive in Kenmare so she would give me a lift home. I met up with Diane and we made the journey to Sneem which was quite the trek. On the journey as we were talking Diane mentioned that my American accent was thicker than usual!! I thought my accent always sounded quite American! I couldn’t believe how snowy and icy the roads were and they don’t salt or clear the roads like they do at home. So after a slow going journey we finally made it to Sneem. I was so thankful to her and Joyce for their rides and making it possible for me to get home. Now all I wanted was a hot shower and my bed!
The only negative thing I have to say about my trip to London is that the customs people didn't put a stamp in my passport!! It really was a great weekend to London and even when things don’t go as smoothly as you plan you just learn to go with it and take it as part of the experience! Through each weekend expedition I have learned so much and all of it is what makes each experience unique and memorable! And I have 200 pictures to prove it!
couch surfing huh?! I'm not sure that I would be brave enough.... to stay or host! :) Glad you had a good time in London, I always liked it better than Paris! :) So, where / when you going to Germany??
ReplyDelete