Wow! That's all I can say about this week. It has been very hectic with many things going on. When I returned from Germany last weekend I had a pretty bad cold. I have been fighting it most of the week and whenever I think I am getting better I am actually getting worse. But as always a little cold hasn't slowed me down....hmmmm....maybe that's why it's not going away.
This week I had to do a lot of planning for lessons and getting ready for my observation/evaluation by my COST students teaching coordinator that was on Thursday. I really enjoy teaching my students and this week we had quite a bit of fun learning about the Renaissance, Making ice crystals and snowflakes, and the Traditions of Christmas all over the world. And let's not forget the Children's mass and Christmas concert and a trip to Kenmare to see a Christmas version of Old Mother Hubbard at the theatre. It was my last full week in the classroom and I really enjoyed planning fun lessons/activities for the students. I am a very hands-on type of person and I love creating lessons that get the kids active.
To start off the week on Monday, Joe (father of host family) had an accident as he was helping unload wood and got his hand stuck in the shaft of the forklift. He was taken to the Tralee hospital where it was determined that he had two broken fingers, a third finger that was crushed, and quite a bit of nerve, tendon, and tissue damage. He was being sent to Cork hospital to see a specialist on Tuesday morning. There he was kept in the hospital for surgery on Wednesday. He underwent surgery of Wednesday and did come home on Thursday. He is in great spirits and very thankful that he will make a full recovery. It is going to be a long process that will involve physical therapy and currently he is in a cast for the next 4 to 6 weeks.
It was very hard for the kids to have him gone in the hospital for a couple of nights but they are very relieved and happy that he is home. They waited to put up the Christmas tree until he got home and we spent Friday night doing that until we ran into a light issue....now it is on hold.
Also on Monday I received a package that contained many baking goodies. Thank you Ann for your thoughtfulness. When the girls saw a package they asked what they had received! So of course I let them help open it and they were so delighted to see all the baking supplies. We have already made some goodies and I am sure the weekend will include some baking fun! I love being able to bake with them and am so thankful and grateful to everyone who has helped make that possible. I am very blessed to have such wonderful people in my life.
I spent several late nights working on student teaching paperwork and getting evaluations and assignments done. I hate waiting til the last minute but unfortunately, or is it fortunately, I work well under pressure. I did get everything turned in by Friday evening so there will be no delay in getting my grades posted. This is what I was aiming for and thankfully I accomplished that.
Also during the week I have spent three nights at meetings planning a disco with the 6th class. They are so very excited about the disco that is supposed to be held this evening. I just hope the weather holds and we will still be able to have it. They will be devastated if it has to be canceled. And so will I as this is a big deal to them and it is my last big event before going home.
Friday morning we awoke to 4 inches of snow and the snowflakes that were falling were the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen. Ireland has seen a dusting of snow before but an accumulation like this is certainly unheard of. The kids and parents alike were all caught up in the excitement. In fact the parents were having a snowball fight in front of the school Friday morning. It was really funny to watch them all act like kids. Seeing all the snow was really a beautiful sight. All the surrounding mountains and field covered in a fresh layer of white was simply remarkable.
This weekend is going to be busy as I have the disco this evening, on Sunday there is a singing/dancing performance that my students are in, and I need to begin the big task of packing. As the time is drawing very close for me to depart Ireland and head on. But we aren't going to dwell on that today! Today I am going to wrap a couple Christmas presents and prepare to have a great time at a very fun disco with some wonderful kids!
This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!
No comments:
Post a Comment