This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Snowy Ireland


Last year was the first time in 30 years that Ireland received any type of snow or real winter-like weather. This year is starting to prove that it could be just like last year except that it is starting about a month sooner. Snow fell Saturday evening thus causing the roads to freeze. Ireland is not equipped to handle the snow or icy conditions therefore when it happens most everything shuts down. Not to mention the temps have been around -10 degrees Celsius which is also pretty much unheard of. I will say though that for me it is more mild than winters in Illinois. Yes it is cold but there is no wind chill factor or large snow accumulations. Honestly the mountains covered in snow is a very pretty sight and makes for a great picture taking opportunity. The roads were pretty hazardous Sunday and Monday making any type of travel including just into the village pretty difficult. The students had so much fun out on break sliding across the school yard and having snowball fights. They were quite amusing to watch, just wish I had their energy and enthusiasm. 
 







 
It was decided on Monday that school would be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday due to the weather conditions. Just one of those perks of being a teacher…I love snow days! So on Tuesday I spent the day working on different projects and we even went up to the farm and attempted to sled! There wasn’t enough snow to go down on our own so I would pull or push the girls on the sled. It really was a fun time! The day was cold but the sun was nice and bright and helped to clear most of the main roads. Later in the afternoon we received a text that school was back in session for Wednesday due to the improvement in weather conditions. Boo for only one snow day, but at least it was a fun one and a nice one day break! The girls even went out and built a snowman….the cutest little snowman ever!



No comments:

Post a Comment