Somewhere between yesterday and today my students must have forgotten that it wasn't my first day teaching them and not even the first day without the teacher being in the room! But yes it was the first day without her being in the building at all and oh how it showed! They were quite the chatty bunch with a few trying to be on the bold side. They quickly realized they were getting away with nothing and the threat of having to stay in from break time and eating with me even brought tears! And to think I thought I would make for a great lunch companion...guess they didn't think so! I think I had a real taste of what substitute teacher's go through and I must say that I don't envy them at all. In fact I have a whole new appreciation for them and it makes me pray even more so that I can find a full time job come January and won't have to sub. Tomorrow is another day of teaching as my cooperating teacher is still sick. I really do enjoy the experience of having to teach all day by myself. It certainly is a learning experience and I am more than happy for it. I will definitely learn from it and grow from it and that is what student teaching is all about.
Now to back track for a moment and rewind to Monday evening....it was a very busy evening and one I want to post about so I can have record of it plus it is entertaining. Maureen had 8 walkers booked for the night in the B & B and had to go to Kenmare to pick up her son from basketball training. When the time came for her to leave the walkers had yet to check in. I told her I had no problem watching for them and checking them in...which includes showing them to their rooms, making coffee/tea, setting out some cookies/bread, taking their breakfast order and answering any questions they may have. It sounds like a lot but really it goes fairly smoothly. I opened the door to greet them upon their arrival and I no more than gave them a welcome and immediately after their hellos was followed up by, "You aren't Irish!" Good to know I haven't lost my American accent! It just cracking me up and I couldn't help but laugh! They were from the States as well residing in Oregon and Washington. They were a very nice group and I actually got to talk to them quite a bit. After finding out why I was here in Ireland they were very interested in learning about the school system and how it is similar and different from that back in the states. We had quite the conversation about it and I was even interviewed by the son of one of the walkers who is doing his senior project on disability services in schools and he wanted to know what services were available for students with disabilities and how things were handled in terms of accommodations for those students. It was a really neat conversation. This adds to the reasons why I wanted to live with a host family and why I was excited that they also run a bed and breakfast. You really meet all kinds of people and you never know what you will learn from them or be able to contribute back.
I am happy to report that the rental car is booked and I have a room reserved Saturday night in Dublin at a B & B close to the airport. I am very excited about Meg's upcoming visit and our road trip of Ireland. I am excited yet anxious about hiring a car! It will be nice to have the freedom a car allows, but yet I know it will certainly take some getting used to. And I am thinking that after having a car for 11 days it will be really hard to go back to relying on my legs and cycle to get me from place to place again! But I will make sure to enjoy and make the most of my time having a car! Stay tuned as I am sure there will be plenty of car stories to pass along!
After school today I went on a much needed run and then baked some brownies with Tara and Rachel. They are always wanting to bake something which I have no problem with, but it is eating all of the delicious things we make that gets me in trouble. Guess they are my reward for running! I also got to have a much needed skype date with Taryn tonight. It was fabulous to enjoy some girl talk and catch up!! It was a long day and I now must get some rest so I am refreshed for tomorrow.
This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!
No comments:
Post a Comment