Yesterday I received a very nice note from Lisa in the Study Abroad Office at Eastern. I was so touched at her thoughtfulness. It was so nice of her to take the time to write me a note and also send a copy of the campus newspaper. So thank you Lisa! Today I received a nice card from my Aunt Sharon telling me of the happenings back home and just checking in on me and saying hello! It was really nice to hear from her. And it is really nice to get mail!
Another amazing thing that I am thankful for is the weather! We are experiencing Indian Summer and I am loving every moment of it. I actually have been able to wear 3/4 length shirts and no jackets to school and wear shorts on my run. I am basking it the sun and praying it stays around longer than they are forecasting. Sure wish this was the week of our midterm break. I can definitely tell the kids wish they were outside too in this glorious weather than cooped up in the classroom listening to me!
I think for the most part teaching has been going really well. I have been trying to incorporate technology as much as possible as well as hands on activities. After yesterday's math lesson on measuring the angles of shapes with the 6th class, which was a train wreck. No really...they were looking at me like I was speaking a completely different language or had four heads! It was awful...so I took a few steps backwards and started from scratch today and was so thrilled when I saw the lightbulbs in their heads light up! It was a fabulous moment for me...guess I am not a failure after all! Phew!! Today I also did a lesson in Science on the different types of states of matter and how they can be changed. It was pretty fun and we did a little fun activity outside which I think they enjoyed. Next week in Science we are making a homemade fire extinguisher! Won't that be fun! Just a side note....they only have to incorporate science into the lessons once a week! Crazy!! We also started working on writing Halloween stories today. I am a little scared to collect them and read them tomorrow! They have quite the imaginations!
Last night as I was eating my dinner I noticed there was a pot with meat boiling in it on the stove and I asked Maureen what was in it. She said, "Oh just some boiled meat for Joe for dinner." I was like oh alright. Later on she asked if I wanted to try some but she didn't think I would like it. I said I would give it a try afterall I want to live in the culture and try new things. So I asked what it was and she said, "It is bacon." This was not the bacon that I know as it was in a roast form, but being intrigued by it I gave it a try. I don't have the words to express how shocked and amazed I was to find out that it is what we refer to in the states as Ham. The really good kind of ham that I absolutely love!! Maureen was shocked when I told her that this wasn't bacon it was ham and it is amazing! I made sure there were leftovers for me to take to school for lunch! So moral of the story the foods you love are probably here somewhere they are just called something different!
The last several nights have been incredibly late for me so I am determined to be in bed at a respectable and reasonable hour! Which is fastly approaching! So I think I have hit the highlights...now I am off to bed to ponder the question of Paris or No Paris in November?!?!?! Hmmmm.....!! :-)
I vote.. Paris!! Do it for Baby Buhr!! :) Even though it was not one of my favorite cities (or France being a favorite country) it is worth the trip while you are that close. I do recommend making the special jaunt over to Mont St. Michel though.. it is a-mazing!
ReplyDelete