This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Midterm Break Has Begun so Let the Fun Begin!

Friday was just a crazy morning at school. I decided to be in the festive mood and dressed up as a mummy made from recycled sheets. It was fun to dress up with the kids and all my students completely thought it was hilarious. I was the only teacher/adult in the school that dressed up. I thought it was fun to join in and show my spirit as well! We spent the morning playing games and reciting Halloween poems for the younger classes. My students did an amazing job with their poems and really got into their roles with great voices and actions! Fabulous effort to all!

After school Maureen and I headed off to Killarney so I could pick up my rental car. The day decided to be rainy so I was a little nervous. The road between Killarney and Sneem is one of the worst roads in Ireland. Just what I needed to practice on! So I went to pick up the rental car and the guy was so rude and he completely treated me with no consideration. He acted like I was inconveniencing him! If that rental place wasn't the only one in Killarney I would have left! So that kind of put a damper on my mood and I tried to shake it! This is my vacation and I am not going to let some rude customer service guy ruin it! I made the drive home quite safely and cautiously. You should see some of those drop-offs! It really did help that I was familiar with the road even though I hadn't previously driven on it. For the most part things went smoothly...definitely not completely comfortable yet. The only part I am unsteady about is taking off from a stop when pointed uphill. I have no problem driving on the left even though my brain was completely at battle with itself and the shifting came back naturally. I spent the evening packing and doing last minute planning and checking on things.

This morning I am up and ready to go. I have about a 5 hour or so drive to Dublin ahead of me. I pray the weather clears up and that the journey is uneventful. I can't believe in less than 24hours Meg will be here and we will be off journeying around Ireland. It will be so great to see her and enjoy the company of a friend for the week. I am hoping to stay at B&Bs that have internet access so I can blog along the way. Here's to a fabulous and fun week ahead!! :-)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great time!! Enjoy Ireland.. that should be ME in the seat of that car though.................. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will take plenty of pics for you! It will be just like you were here!

    ReplyDelete