This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Making Flubber, Carving Pumpkins, Baking Cupcakes, Making Halloween Costumes

Yesterday I was again on my own in the classroom and must admit that I really enjoyed it. It makes me look forward to the day where I will have my own classroom and hopefully that day will be soon! I started the students on a new geography research project on County Galway and Galway City. They worked well in their groups and did a great job researching their specific area. For science, I did an extension of the stages of matter unit I started last week and made flubber with the class. We talked about how matter can change from a gas, to a liquid, and to a solid and how the reverse can also take place. Through the making of flubber where we started with water and glue we were able to turn it into a solid. The kids all loved this experiment and it was so much fun. We even  got it to bounce which had them all cheering and all wanting a chance to play with it. See school can be fun!

Today my cooperating teacher was back but I still was able to do quite a bit on my own with the students. For Math I put together a Math Trail where they had to go around in the school yard area and find different shapes and angles. They enjoyed doing something different for Math besides just working in their books and it got them outside looking at nature and the school building to see how shapes are used all around us. In the afternoon we walked to the school garden and picked raspberries and the sole pumpkin which will later become pumpkin soup. Then back to the school we walked and headed to do some art. We painted the clay sculptures that we made last week and then we carved some pumpkins. We then made a stage area where my students will be performing their Halloween poems that they have been working on memorizing. I am so proud of them and today really was a great day. Tomorrow is only a half day and it is going to be full of fun as we will be playing games and having a party for Halloween! My class is allowed to wear fancy dress (dress in costumes) for the Halloween  party tomorrow but it has to be a costume made from something that has been recycled. I am really interested to see what the students put together! And won't they be shocked when I enter in a costume of my own! Stay tuned for pictures of the whole event!

So now on the home front...I spent last night helping Tara make/put together her Halloween costume, which turned out very well. Then tonight I helped Rachel pick out what she was going to be and wear. Also the girls are allowed to take treats for their classes and really wanted to make cupcakes. And of course there are no cake mixes or containers of frosting so we got to baking old fashioned style. They enjoyed making the cupcakes and frosting and then decorating them with cookie bits and sweets. The cupcakes turned out so well...I am so proud of the girls and the job they did. And 84 cupcakes later we were done!! Oh what a process. And to think we will do this all over again at Christmas time!!

After our baking expedition Maureen and I and the girls had quite the fun time practicing how to dress me in my costume for tomorrow. It was full of laughter and definitely a memorable evening. But now it is late and we all must get up early to allow enough time to get dressed in our costumes and get to school on time and take all of our cupcakes with us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment