This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Now for the Happenings Over the Weekend

On Saturday morning the group of us strolled into town centre in search of breakfast and to make a plan for the day. We decided to head out to Rossaveal to catch a ferry that would take us to the Aran Islands. The drive there was quite beautiful has it followed the coastline. We got to see beaches of Ireland and tremendous views and of course had to stop for a picture moment. 

There are actually three islands that make up the Aran Islands…the one we visited was Inishmore. The ferry ride was about 40 minutes in length but was very relaxing and the views were stunning. The best and really only ways to get around and see the island is to either hire a bike or hire a bus tour. We opted for the bus tour and set off for the afternoon to tour the island. There are actually several small villages on the island, a couple primary schools, a secondary school and a couple of churches. 

The first stop was at the village of Kilmurvey where the famous for of Dun Aengus is located. This fort is 2500 years old and is standing on 300 feet cliffs. I highly suggest taking the time to climb to top and see the fort and the spectacular views of the cliffs. 
If I wasn’t already in love with Ireland my trip to the Aran Islands and the view from amongst the top of the cliffs would have certainly done me in, but now I am just even more in love with Ireland! After descending from the cliffs and getting back to our bus we headed out to see more of the island. We made a couple other stops including one at a beach area and another at the ruins of the seven churches. The island really is impressive and I highly suggest it as a must see to anyone that visits Ireland. It really is worth the journey and the Euros! After arriving back to the mainland of Ireland we collected our rental car and headed back for Galway City. We did have to make a stop on the way back to take pictures and walk on the beach.

Once back in Galway City we took a few moments to unwind and then got ready to go out for dinner. We went out for some amazing fish and chips and then I found a great sweet shop that had Snickers Cake….so yummy and delicious. Now that are hunger was subsided we set out in search for some local Irish music in some area pubs. We spent the evening meandering around from pub to pub taking in the sights and sounds. It was a definitely a fun evening out.

Sunday OH Sunday what can I really say about you! Well I can say that we ate at this little cafĂ© that had the most amazing French toast I have ever had! I also got to see some more beautiful countryside of Ireland including the Dunguaire Castle. After a lovely scenic road trip we did arrive back in Killarney. Sunday really didn’t go the way it was planned but sometimes you just have to be flexible and go with the flow. Overall it was a good weekend….just sometimes traveling with a group of people you don’t know can be awkward at times. I don’t think I have ever been that quiet for a whole weekend in probably ever! It was difficult in ways for me because I am used to either traveling solo or with people I am very close to who know me and how I am and can be (especially when I am tired or hungry)!! But it was good for me to branch out and use it as a learning experience.

Monday morning I was collected by the teacher from my school and we headed back to Sneem and another week school. As we drove into Sneem I was overwhelmed with happiness and how good it felt to be home. It may have only been a couple of days but I was ready to be back. And I was anxious to see the family that I haven’t seen in almost a week. I knew they arrived back the night before but knew they were also very wrecked from their emotional week/weekend.

After such a long weekend it felt great to hang out around the house and just relax. And sleeping in my bed felt amazing! A good night’s sleep was exactly what I needed for we were going on a field trip on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment