This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Friday, October 8, 2010

A Field Trip to Kenmare!


Sometimes it is necessary to get out of the classroom and go on a field trip! My cooperating teacher and I took the kids to the Kenmare Library where we met and listened to a childrens author named Aubrey Flegg. The 5th and 6th classes are going to be reading one of his books as a Reading project. I thought he did a great job talking about his writing and the process behind it all. He was actually very inspiring and really did a great job targeting his presentation to the kids and involving them by letting them ask him question after question. The Kenmare Library has a Book Mobile that goes around Kerry County visiting the smaller towns and schools giving the community an opportunity to have easy access to library materials. The book comes to the Sneem school every second Tuesday. I was very excited to learn the book mobile has a wide range of reading materials and also will accept requests and bring them to you the next time they are in the area. So while in Kenmare at the Library I got myself a library card! I was actually pretty stoked to be a library member in another country!


From the library we heading to a small restaurant, Packie’s, which is owned by my cooperating teacher’s brother. He was kind enough to allow us the use of his kitchen and restaurant for lunch. The kids were able to help make fish fingers and chips. For dessert there was fresh homemade ice cream and homemade chocolate sauce. It certainly was a great time and delicious too! The kids did a great job making the meal and I think they really enjoyed the hands on experience and being able to do it themselves. They were all very well mannered and it was a pleasant trip!

 



The evening was fairly quiet I did manage to get a very important package sent off…kind of late but at least it has been shipped…it is the thought that counts – right?!

I cycled around Sneem with the girls taking pictures of Flat Stanley who was mailed to me by the 2nd grade class from Ludlow Grade School. Flat Stanley had quite the journey. The girls thought the only concept of Flat Stanley was fun so I let them decide where all we should take his picture.

The only excitement was while I was out for my run it started raining and then actually turned into hail!! By the time I arrived back at the house I was completely drenched! Thankfully I dry and not melt! It was pretty entertaining and being rained on actually made me run faster!

1 comment:

  1. YOU should do Flat Stanley with one of your classes!!! You could send him over here!! :)

    ReplyDelete