This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Before I Leave I Want to Learn Irish Set Dancing!

I am well aware that I lack rhythm but hopefully I will make up for it in determination! Once a week the students at school have dance and they learn Irish Set Dancing...I sat in on it today and even gave it a try! It may take more than once a week and definitely more than a week to get it down but it looks so much like fun. We learned the basic three step movement today! I have never really been big into dancing but what the heck this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I want to make the most of the experience! Guess now I have to start staying up later on the weekends so I can go out and practice my dance skills! LOL!!

I think it is being noticed by some of the locals that I am hanging  around longer than a typical holiday...I was asked by two people today while I was in the village after school about where I was staying and how long I was here for and what I was doing. Great...no more blending in for me! Guess it was a give away when all the tourist buses left town and I was still there!

Had another basketball training tonight...it is a great workout but I am loving it! I forgot how much I enjoyed playing basketball. Looking forward to getting to know the women on the team more and hanging out more on the weekend we have games! Some of our games are "away" at other area towns so that will give me the opportunity to see different places as well. I am enjoying the feeling of getting involved and starting to feel more like I fit in here and belong. I really think it is key to get involved in some type of organization or sport when studying abroad or when you are new somewhere. It is a great way to meet people!

I have been giving some thought to life after Ireland and what I want to do come January. I have several options or paths that I could pursue....not sure which one I want to choose! Guess I could pursue them all and whichever one works out is the one that God has planned for me! It seems crazy to me that I already have to start thinking of what comes next but January will be here before I know it! So for now I will continue looking and pursuing different options and just see where God leads me to go and do from here!

This week is just zooming right by...I really need to decide what I am doing for the weekend!!! So many choices that I just don't know what to do! Maybe I will sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment