Today I got up early and went for a run...I didn't get lost so I deemed it a success! I felt like I needed to start establishing a routine and getting myself on Ireland time. I went into the school today at half twelve during big break to visit the teachers and introduce myself. The school recently moved into their new addition and it is quite lovely! All of the classrooms have a smartboard and three - five computers. The teachers were all very nice and welcoming! I get the feel that I will be helping in all three classrooms...I can't wait til Monday! I met the student in the primary classroom (grades 1-3) they were all delightful and had so many questions for me.
Above is the picture of the front of the school...the new addition is in the back. I will have to take a picture of that next week...it is rather nice.
After leaving the school, I went into the village. I found my way around nicely, bought a birthday card for my wonderful niece and got it into the mail. I know it will be late but hopefully she will overlook that part! :-)
I was impressed that it only costs 86cents to mail a letter to the states. Maybe I will have to send some postcards since I know it won't break the bank!
I went to a few stores in search of a few items. I am still trying to familiarize myself with the grocery items and finding items that I am looking for or willing to try. Haven't worked up to buying anything quite yet...maybe tomorrow. The girls want to do some baking with me over the weekend so I probably should get a few things.
I came back to the house and just relaxed til the girls got home from school. I really enjoy their company and we always have fun together. It was a rather damp evening so I decided to stay in where it is warm. I may venture out to visit a pub for some music tomorrow night. Joe has been talking to some local girls that play basketball and is going to take me to visit them soon. That would be so much fun to get back into playing basketball and a great way to meet some local people!
I have really enjoyed getting to know the family here and spending time with them. They are all such a delight and I love hanging out with the girls. I am feeling very comfortable here and know that I will really enjoy my time here!
It is just before 10pm and I think I shall call it an evening...I am exhausted. Tomorrow is another day in Ireland and I am sure it will be a delightful one!
This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment