This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Travel Day - Oh What an Adventure!

I arrived in Ireland today...yes safely although exhausted! The flight from the states was good (except for takeoff)! I managed to get a little sleep on the plane which is always a good thing for me! We arrived in Dublin almost an hour early which is a good thing unless it just makes your waiting time for your next flight even longer! But I kept busy during those 8 hours re-packing and arranging my luggage to accommodate weight restrictions! And trying to fit my purse into my carry-on luggage! Which if you know me and my purse you know this might have taken the whole 8 hours! But after many tries and hours I successfully managed to get everything somewhere and all suitcases and carry-on fit weight restrictions! Hooray!

After arriving in Dublin I had to take the lift with all of my luggage and upon entering soon realized I didn't know which level I was supposed to go to as it was all written in Irish!! Yikes! So I just kept pushing buttons til I got to the correct level!!

Two important things I learned today was how to call back to home using a pay phone so I could talk to my mom and let her know I was safely in Ireland. And the other was to thoroughly read the labels before purchasing an item. I picked up a bottle of water, thinking it was plain water and then when I opened it I realized I had picked up Sparkling water and let me tell you that has to be an acquired taste!!
And while I am on the topic of beverages I quickly caught on that drinking tea is quite the thing to do in Ireland! I bet I am a tea drinker before I arrive home in December! Better stick to decaf though!!

I also learned that I rely too heavily on my cellphone to help me pass time and also to tell time! I think I need to buy a watch! :-) Or get a cellphone that works in Ireland...which of course I did today in Killarney on our way to Sneem! While purchasing my cellphone though I realized that the card company had temporarily blocked my account due to suspicious activity, which of course was me making purchases in Ireland! Thankfully Maureen was gracious enough to get the phone for me and we were on our way! And I emailed the bank when we got to the house and now everything is all fixed and sorted out!

After many hours in Dublin I finally arrived in Sneem where I was greeted by Maureen. Ireland is quite lovely and during the drive back to the house I saw some wonderful picture moments that I must go back and visit! The roads here are quite narrow and very winding! Upon arriving at the house I got to meet the rest of the family. We had a great evening talking and getting to know each other. The girls (Tara and Rachel) are super cute and tonight we played around taking pictures on the Webcam. They loved being able to see themselves on the computer like that!

I am going to try and look around the village of Sneem tomorrow and possibly visit the school as well. Of course this is all dependent on what time I get out of bed and moving! As I write this it is after midnight here in Ireland and I should be crashed out! I am thoroughly exhausted and I think if I shut down and just lay in bed I will crash! I think I shall try this soon!

I just wanted to update everyone on my arrival and my adventures while traveling! Oh...let's not forget all the interesting people you meet on a plane or while waiting at the airport! Be open to being social and friendly...you never know who could be sitting next to you!

I will try and post some pictures soon so you can enjoy the beautiful scenery!
Many blessings to all and to all Good Night!!

1 comment: