This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Patience and Stir-Crazy

Well...it has finally happened...I miss my car! That's right little miss independent here is feeling a little more dependent than her liking! I know most of you are laughing and not at all shocked by this and probably thought it would have occurred sooner! I am so accustomed to being able to jump in my car and go wherever I want whenever I want and that just isn't the case here. And with Sneem being such a remote community it is hard to go and do much without relying on others. This definitely is taking patience on my part and will take time to adapt to. And being a person who is used to constantly being on the go to now having free time I don't really know what to do with myself. I am looking into ways to get involved more in the community and to be out meeting others and just be active in general. But as we all know when I want something I want it now...I haven't always been good at letting things happen and taking things as they come. Won't all of you be shocked if the control freak in me is tamed when I return! HAHA!! I am learning to really like cycling for it takes me further than running and I can see more! I am planning my weekend and we shall see just how much my legs can take of cycling! I am also looking into future weekend plans that get me away. I think if I spend my weekends out and about then during the week I shall feel more content to just be in one place.

Well this certainly isn't the most up-lifting of blogs! Oh we all have our days! Things really are well and I do enjoy being here in Ireland so please don't think that is an issue! Today was my third day in the classroom and I enjoy seeing the differences in the school systems and can't wait to actually start teaching lessons next week! The students, teachers, and I are still getting used to each other and getting to know one another. I love how now that I have started in the school I can't go into the village without running into at least one student who is always anxiously waving and shouting hello. Then after you pass you hear them telling their parents, "That's the American teacher." Some days I wonder if I still have a name...for most days I am referred to as the "American Teacher" or "Miss"! I find it rather interesting and intriguing how people address one another here. I am still learning the different phrases used here and what different things are called. I have a hard time knowing if I should adjust how I say things or if that would come across as me trying to fit in. You certainly learn a lot living abroad and I know this experience is really going to challenge me and help me grow!

Blessings to all!!

1 comment:

  1. I really look forward to reading your posts!
    I have been having trouble posting to you and I think I have it fixed now. So forgive me for not commenting sooner. I love you and am glad all is well
    claudia

    ReplyDelete