This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday in Killarney

Today I took the bus from Sneem to Killarney...I really enjoyed the time walking around and seeing what Killarney has to offer. I plan on making a trip there again with a set agenda of exactly what sites I want to see and what I want to do. For today I was perfectly content walking around and getting an idea of all there was in Killarney. I did do some birthday shopping for all those special people that have October birthdays! It is strange to have to start this early, but with having to factor in shipping time I thought it best to get a few things now. Plus they were super cute!

On the bus ride to Killarney I was so taken by the scenery and just mesmerized by the beauty. It simply is beauty in the most natural sense. You look out and see hills and valleys set among the mountains and sheep and cows grazing in the meadows. If you really want to know how many shades of green there really are then come to Ireland. You look out and see shades upon shades...none quite the same. No words can really describe the scenery here and even pictures don't do it any real justice.


 


As I looked at the hills a couple thoughts crossed my mind - first off was how much fun it would be to roll down them and second what great sledding hills they would be!! Yes I am still a kid at heart and find fun in the simplest of things!

I learned a lesson about ordering tonight at dinner....what you think you ordered may not be exactly what is served. I am beginning to realize that what I am accustomed to isn't exactly what it is here. Not that it was bad...just different and sometimes different can be a good thing. Ordering in new places is sort of a trial and error thing! After dinner I went to the bakery figuring that I couldn't go wrong there! I picked up some giant chocolate chip cookies that ended up being far better than I could have imagined! They were quite fine and delicious! I brought them back home and shared them and indeed they all thought they were tasty too!

For the evening I am just relaxing at the house watching movies with the girls. I am waiting for my family to Skype me from Kayla's birthday party! It is family celebrations that make me miss home, but hopefully I will get to be there even if it is just through Skype!

No comments:

Post a Comment