This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Being a Tourist and Settling In

After 12 hours of sleep I felt well rested and ready to venture into the village (Sneem). I wanted to look around and gain my bearings! Of course I took many pictures along the way and really felt like a tourist. In a way I felt silly because I am living here for a time and not just on a brief holiday, but on the other hand I am new here and wanting to take it all in!

This picture is what I see when I walk out the front door! Please don't be jealous of my mountains...most of you have corn fields and that is pretty too!


This is the front view of the house/bed and breakfast I am staying at. It is a very lovely home both inside and out! If you ever come to Ireland you must stay here!!

It is nestled between the mountains and only a short 5 minute walk into the village of Sneem!




And here below is Tara showing off the sign to the Bed and Breakfast!

Today I learned how to walk on the "proper" side of the road and the importance of really looking both ways before crossing the street. If you only look one direction odds are it wasn't the "correct" one, so for safety sakes I looked both...multiple times!


I visited the shops and walked around Sneem. I found the post office and some lovely places for shopping and also found out that there is live music on Thursday nights at the local pubs. May have to check into that tomorrow! Maybe then I can start to be a local and not just a tourist!

Once the girls got home from school I helped them with their homework. Neither are particularly fond of Mats or Math, but lucky for them I am! Or maybe unlucky! I didn't make it to the school today but am really going to try tomorrow. Tara and Rachel are trying to teach me Irish...so far I can say Hello and My Name Is...not bad since I have only been here a day! For all of you who make fun of me and my no TV, you will be happy and also proud to know that I have TV here with lots of channels! After dinner we had tea and biscuits. The biscuits are like cookies...we had some with chocolate on it and others with caramel and chocolate on them...they are delightful! The tea I think is going to be one of those acquired tastes! I will work on it! Tara, Rachel, and I had fun hanging out, playing on the computer, and taking pictures! Here are a couple pictures of us. They were having fun trying on my glasses!


I think soon I will be going with the family to the sheep farm up in the mountains...I am looking forward to that experience. It has been fun visiting with the family and getting to know them. I am really enjoying the girls....it does make me miss all of my nieces and nephews back home!

It is rather late here so I best be getting to bed. I want to start getting up at a decent time and get a routine going! And the girls want me to cycle with them to school tomorrow!

So til my next blog.......

2 comments:

  1. Bravo!! I'm so excited to live through you... jealous.. but excited!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine and I say "HI!" We are glad to hear everything is going well. I loved the photos and can't wait to see more of Sneem!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete