This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Funny and Fabulous Friday

It totally made my day that Dallas decided he wanted to talk to me...this little man hasn't wanted to talk to me for two weeks! Apparently he was mad that I won't come see him! Too cute yet heartbreaking! Niki, bless her, has worked all day at getting the computer to work and get Skype loaded so Dallas could see his Aunt Larla!! Watching him run across the room to see me on the computer completely warmed my heart! I am so blessed by my amazing family! I miss them but am so appreciative of how supportive they are of me in all that I do!

I can't believe that I finished my second week in the classroom today! Wednesday and Thursday I had the opportunity to teach in the junior/senior infants room all morning by myself. I really enjoyed it and am so fond of this age group. We did so many things together and hopefully they learned something during my time with them. Starting today through the next several weeks I will be in the 4th/5th/6th classroom. I think it will be a great learning experience for me and I can't wait to see what projects we are able to accomplish together. I am hopefully to do some projects with them using technology and other creative lessons that I hope they not only enjoy but take something from. Today I worked with the 4th graders on making graphs on the computer and they were having so much fun but also learned how to do something new using technology which is awesome! During PE we split up the group and I worked with some of them on basketball. I had so much fun teaching them different drills and getting to know them in a more fun nature outside of the classroom. Some of the 6th grade girls have been stand-offish with me since my arrival but after playing basketball with me were starting to loosen up so hopefully they will be more receptive of me and my place in their classroom. They even thanked me for working with them playing basketball! I am excited to see what happens over the course of the next several weeks!

I recently caught myself still checking and reading the daily newspaper back home online everyday and then realized I haven't read or even opened a single newspaper since my arrival in Ireland. So I decided in order to really know what was going on or find out any local happenings I needed to get informed. After school I headed for Daybreak to buy a paper. Of course there are like 5 Irish Newspapers and I had no idea which one would be the best one. So after perusing all of them I settled on one National one and one Regional one! I am going to be well informed now!

As I was walking home I was stopped by a car with two tourists in it and they asked me for directions!! It took all I had not to laugh...I kept thinking wait are they really asking me for directions?! Do I really look like I know my way around?! Obviously they didn't witness me mulling over all of the Irish Newspapers moments before acting like a complete tourist! So they asked me how to get to the Ring of Kerry...I informed them that they were on it...which honestly they were! They had a map but it wasn't a good one so I helped them figure out where they really were and gave them instructions how to get where they wanted to be going! I felt so knowledgeable! LOL! I figured out that as long as you appear confident in what you are talking about they totally believe you....so now I pray that they are lost in the mountains! First the locals acknowledge I am more than a tourist passing through and now the tourists are asking me for directions and all in the same week!

I have had a such a great evening talking to my family but now I must get some rest! I either am getting a cold or have a cold or am just cold....how do I really know?!?! Maybe sleep is the answer! Hoping to get out and do something tomorrow so I better get some sleep!

And PS....It hasn't rained today...make that Day Number 2!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment