Wow! I can't believe I have let so much time pass since my last post! I must do better since this is my log of what I am up to during my time in Ireland! So let's see what is new or has happened in the last few days....! Last week was another adjustment week but this time to being in the school and learning the classrooms and such. The beginning of the week was a little rough for me and that's probably why I didn't write much and why my last post was kind of a downer. We all have are bad days and days that just don't go our way, but sometimes I feel that I can't really express that because I know how many people read this and would start worrying. But please don't worry...part of the whole experience is going to involve some rough days and I will always make it through them...I did in Illinois and I will here in Ireland. So good or bad it shall be posted but don't let it cause worry just say extra prayers! LOL! On the whole though my time in Ireland is going well and I just need to give myself a break and not put too much pressure on myself to do everything at once!
By the end of last week I was feeling much more positive and had a brighter outlook. I went to Kenmare on Friday after school and spent a couple hours wandering the streets shopping and just taking in the sights that were around. And found a delightful cafe that had homemade ice cream....yummy....raspberry ripple is scrumptious! Later in the evening I went out with Stephanie (who works at the school) for dinner. We had a great time out and I got to meet people! One thing though about going out is that most places that have music don't start becoming lively until half 10 or 11 and I must be getting old because by then I want to be sleeping! I may have to adjust my sleep pattern on the weekend if I ever want to hear some music! So funny story about the evening....by half 11 I was exhausted so I decided to call it an evening and head to the house...I got here and went to unlock the door and found that it wouldn't turn! So here I am stranded outside and felt guilty for having to call Maureen to let me in. I was of course mortified but come to find out I was legitimately locked out! So we all have a good laugh about it but now I am scared to go out....just glad I didn't come in any later than I did!
It has been a quiet weekend and I have spent some time relaxing and just hanging out. I love running and cycling and that gets me out and into the fresh air! I need to start planning some weekend trips and I can't wait to start planning my weekend long trip around Ireland during our Midterm Break at the end of October!
So I wanted to share a few words that are used here in Ireland that are different from back home. I find myself starting to refer to them the Ireland way which is sort of amusing!
How I Would Say It: How It is Spoken In Ireland:
* hoodie * jumper
* bike ride * cycle
* bike seat * saddle
* bathroom * toilet
* cabinet * press
* fries * chips
* chips * taytos
* fun or fun times * craic (pronounced crack!)
I am sure there is more but these are the ones that stand out to me right now! I find it all so intriguing! And here in Ireland nothing starts when it says it does except maybe church and school! The Irish are very laid back and certainly friendly, but they have a very hurried pace when it comes to walking, talking, and working! It is so funny to me to see it all put together....you would think the two would be contradicting!
One last thing before I go...I would like to reassure all those who think I may not come home that I indeed will return! I can't teach in Ireland because teachers here need to know fluent Irish and well my Irish is a whole lot rocky! Hello and Good-bye is the extent for me! So relax...I will be back!! How is that for a threat and a promise all rolled into one! :-)
This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!
No comments:
Post a Comment