This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Longing for the Weekend

Things have been really crazy here this week and not a good crazy either! I have been battling a cold all week and it is rather draining. On Wednesday morning, Maureen's (my host mom) mother passed away. This was a bit of a shock to the family here and is a really sad time. All of the arrangements are in Country Galway in a small village that is about 5 hours from Sneem. I have been so torn on what to do and my place in all of it. I realize that I have only been here a short time but in so many ways it feels like I have known them for a lifetime. Unfortunately I am unable to make it up to be with the family and have been reassured countless times that my presence is more needed when they arrive back home than being at the funeral. I guess I just need to focus on that and know that God placed me here for a reason at this exact time with a purpose and a plan. My heart goes out to the whole family and as much as I wish I could be with them now instead they are all in my many thoughts and prayers.

I have been urged to still go ahead with my original weekend plans which is a trip to Galway City with other American student teachers that are part of the COST program. So after school tomorrow I will be journeying by bus from Killarney to Galway to spend the weekend there site seeing and getting to know new people. I am excited about the weekend trip as this will be my first journey away from Sneem since my arrival. I am also excited to meet and get to know the other COST-ers....it will be fun hanging out with all of them and exchanging stories and exploring Galway City. It is supposed to be a very beautiful and amazing city...so I will have to report on that upon my return.

I will not be taking the computer with me for the weekend so I hope everyone has a blessed and safe weekend and I will be back with many stories to share on Monday! I made some changes to my blog site...I hope you enjoy the additions and I hope everyone participates in my survey!! Until I write again....many thoughts and prayers and love and hugs to many!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment