I really can't believe how fast time goes but here we are at the start of another week. The weekend always seems to go by too fast. Over the weekend I went with Maureen and the girls to Killarney. We had plans to go to Muckross House but the weather dampened that plan. So instead we spent the afternoon shopping around Killarney. It was nice to get out and look around. Every since I have arrived in Ireland I have been missing having a salad. When I order a salad...it is not a salad I receive. I am not even sure what it is...all I know is it consists of a bunch of things I won't eat and only has like three pieces of lettuce in it. So anyways...I digress but I do have a point...the girls wanted McDonalds while we were in Killarney and while I am not a huge fan of eating there I didn't say a word. But my attitude quickly changed when I saw that they had salads...real salads like I would get back in the states! I was so delighted by this and savored every last bite of it. As I sat there eating my delicious salad I couldn't help but think how ironic it was that I had to go to a fast food restaurant in order to get a salad!
On Sunday I spent the morning being absolutely lazy and I am not ashamed to admit it! The afternoon picked up a bit as I got to Skype with Taryn and wish her a Happy Birthday and then I also got to Skype with Dean and family. It was so cute to watch the kids talk to me through the webcam. At first they were shy but they were also amused with seeing themselves on the computer screen. Seeing all of them really did me a whirl of good and of course I couldn't get enough of all the kisses they blew me! Too cute! The rest of the afternoon and all of the evening was spent writing lesson plans and then having a freak out over how much stuff I have to do and how I am going to fail student teaching. But then I figured that failing student teaching wouldn't be that horrible if I was allowed to do a repeat of it in the spring here in Ireland. But I am over my freak out and know that I probably won't be failing student teaching so I guess I should start applying and being active in searching for a job!
This week I am planning and teaching the lessons on my own and I think today went really well. I am trying to plan some really fun and educational lessons for the students and also include activities that celebrate Halloween. The kids of course are trying to test me...even more so now that I am actually fully teaching on my own, but they get away with nothing and I think they are starting to realize that. I have some fun things planned and an exchange project in the works for the class to do with another class back in Illinois. I am excited to be teaching and trying new types of lessons.
Tonight I am exhausted as it has been a long day and I also had basketball training. On the way to Kenmare for training I experienced my first traffic jam here in Kerry County! I laughed so hard and really couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Now keep in mind the road between Sneem and Kenmare is a well traveled road and is the "main" road so to speak. As we rounded a bend there we were met by some cows! A farmer was herding his cows down the road to another pasture. What adds to the amusement is that he was in the car behind them and just letting them go at their own pace! When he saw us a boy jumped out of the vehicle and started running behind the cows to get them to pick up the pace. Then we started to panic as the cows were running straight for the car! Of course and thankfully they went past us with no problem. I have heard about the sheep and cows always on the road causing traffic jams but tonight was my first time actually witnessing it! It was so funny and unbelievable!
Tara has a real interest in my computer and learning as much as she can about it and the different programs...it all really intrigues her. Lately she has been doing a program that works on typing skills and she is getting really good at it. She also is very interested in my blog and watching me post. She has been asking if she could write a post for my blog and tonight she happened to wander into my room as I was writing this post and asked if she could do some blogging. So the next paragraph is a little blurb written by Tara!
Today at school we did a project...we all drew a Halloween picture.We are going to write the instructions on how to draw it and send it to a school in Illinois.They are going to do the same, it is an exchange. I can't wait to see what the other students draw and I hope they will think my drawing is good. Some of my class want to skype with the other class and Laura said we might, my class is excited about that. Some of my class and I are doing a photo story about our time in Kenmare and Laura is is teaching us how to do it. Laura is also trying to help us plan a disco but it might not happen, and soon we are going to bake chocolate chip cookies!!!! YUM!!!! Laura is the best...
And no I didn't help her write it or tell her what to say! :-)
So on those notes I am going to bed...again it is a late night and I am wrecked! Oh wait...I have new words and before I forget them I should add them.
In the States it is Called: In Ireland We Say:
* daycare * creche
* passing a vehicle on the road * taking over
* take out * take away
I think that is it for now. On a closing note...I just booked my tickets to Germany for the second weekend in December. Christmas markets in Frankfurt and seeing yet another country! Oh what a life I live...it's rough really, but someone has to do it!
This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!
How fun!! So... I'm sending you my "jealous" vibes... can you feel them burning into your skin? Thought so! :)
ReplyDelete