Today has been a great day in so many ways! I got to start my student teaching today which was just wonderful. I think that I am really going to enjoy my time here and it is going to be an experience that will challenge me and help me to grow both personally and professionally!
The school I am teaching at, St. Michaels National School, is a rather small school. There are only three classrooms with multiple grades within each. The first classroom is Small and Big Infants (PreK & K), the second classroom has 1st class, 2nd class, and 3rd class, with the remaining classroom having the 4th, 5th, and 6th classes. Today I visited all classrooms and the children in all of this are just lovely and were so interested in learning about me and asking questions. It was rather intriguing...I love the way their minds work and the things that they think of asking! I also found out my schedule for my time here...I will be in each classroom everyday either teaching subjects or working one on one with students who need extra help. I am excited to be able to work with a wide range of students both in age range and academically. This will challenge me to prepare lessons for all grades and all levels of learning. Today was a great start and I really look forward to diving in and starting lessons and actually teaching. The teachers are all very willing to have me in their classroom and are open to ideas or lessons that I am interested in teaching.
This evening was a pleasant one...although not weather wise....but that didn't stop me from getting out and going for a run. The unpleasantness of the weather here is different from Illinois therefore it doesn't really seem that bad. I enjoy being outside in the beauty of nature and taking it all in. I also got to talk with a few people back home tonight and that really made my day! It is always great to hear that friendly voice and the supportive and encouraging words!
I know this is short, but sometimes conciseness is most effective! Plus I must head to bed soon so I can be well rested for another day in the classroom! Best wishes to everyone and til next time....you are in my thoughts and prayers!
This blog is a memoir of my time student teaching in Ireland. I arrived in Sneem, Ireland on September 7th and began student teaching in St. Michaels National School on September 13th. My time here in Ireland will come to a close on December 24th. I am very excited about living and learning the culture of Ireland and the unique dynamics of an Irish school. Also while I am here I hope to travel throughout Ireland exploring all of the history and beauty this country holds. I know that this experience will be life changing and I hope to meet many people during my stay here that will have a huge impact on my life and hopefully me on theirs!
Beautiful blog, Laura. I've heard from you now through Taryn N. (sp ?) who came by our Study Abroad fair table, through Lisa Brown, and a couple of OKs from Dr. Carter. Your blog is lovely to read -- lots of info + gorgeous photos and layout. Thank you and keep the good stuff coming. School days have started for you. What will you teach? Did you get to Killarney? What are some Irish ways of saying things like thank you and how are you? Are the accents hard to understand? Judy
ReplyDeleteWow... 1st - 3rd in one classroom!! How do they teach such a broad range of academics and abilities? I could not imagine the difficulty those teachers face every day!
ReplyDelete